A witch is a person with the power to affect change by magical means ("Witchcraft"). A witch can be either male or female, though male witches are commonly known as "warlocks". They connect with the elements and forces of nature in order to practice magic.
In the Stardust universe, the origin of the race of witches remains a mystery. However, it was revealed that the Lillim Coven is one of the first and most powerful coven of witches in existence.
Though not truly immortal, witches are known to live many centuries, passing down their knowledge and skills through generations of family lines.
Powers & AbilitiesEdit
Examples of powers that a magical witch would possess in the Stardust universe include:
- Spell Casting: One of the fundamental skills of a magical witch, enabling her to cast magical spells and perform rituals to project her desires into reality.
- Divination: One of the fundamental skills of a magical witch, enabling her to divine information she required either through observing animal entrails or casting runes.
However, magical witches of the highest level would be able to access greater powers, enabling them to perform feats such as:
- Photokinesis: The ability to create and manipulate light.
- Transfiguration: The ability to manipulate reality to transform any object or being into something else.
- Conjuration: The ability to materialize imaginary objects and beings at will.
- Elemental Control: The ability to generate and manipulate the elements of nature, such as fire and air.
- Telekinesis: The ability to move objects as well as individuals with the mind.
As demonstrated by all four witches shown on the film, a powerful witch can be the most dangerous enemy imaginable, as she is able to work her will in almost all things through her magic.
However, as demonstrated by Lamia, even the most powerful witch of all has her limitations:
- A witch cannot use magic to try to restore her youth and beauty when it is lost, or the magic will backfire on her.
- A witch will not always receive a precise and accurate answer through divination, no matter how advanced her skills may be.
- A witch's magic is unable to affect those who were protected by a Snowdrop Flower.
Consequences of MagicEdit
Though it was never specifically stated or confirmed since all four witches shown on the film were evil, it appeared that the more a witch used her magic for nefarious purposes, the older and uglier she would become in terms of physical appearance.
It is especially evident in Lamia: despite initially having her youth and beauty restored through a Star's heart, with each time she used magic to pursue her selfish desires, her youth and beauty diminished, until by the time she managed to capture Yvaine and bring her back to her lair, she was again the ancient, hairless, ugly hag that she truly was.