A witch is a person with the power to affect change by magical means ("Witchcraft"). A witch can be either male or female, though male witches are commonly known as "warlocks." They connect with the elements and forces of nature in order to practice magic.
In the Stardust universe, the origin of the race of witches remains a mystery. However, it was revealed that the Lillim Coven is one of the oldest and most powerful coven of witches in existence.
Though not truly immortal, witches are known to live many centuries, passing down their knowledge and skills through generations of family blood lines.
Powers & AbilitiesEdit
Examples of powers that a magical witch would possess in the Stardust universe include:
- Spell Casting: One of the fundamental skills of a magical witch, enabling her to cast magical spells and perform rituals to project her desires into reality.
- Knowledge of Herblore: Witches may study magical plants and herbs which can create supernatural effects.
- Divination: Branch of magic that attempts to foresee future or present events and to divine information by observing animal entrails, gazing into a crystal ball or casting runes.
- Potion Brewing: Concocting magical herbs, liquids, animal parts, etc. together to be drank and to create a certain magical effect.
However, magical witches of the highest level would be able to access greater powers, enabling them to perform feats such as:
- Transfiguration: The ability to manipulate reality to transform any object or being into something else.
- Conjuration: The ability to materialize imaginary objects and beings at will.
- Psychokinesis: The ability to control or manipulate all forms of matter.
As demonstrated by all four witches shown on the film, a powerful witch can be the most dangerous enemy imaginable, as she is able to work her will in almost all things through her magic.
However, as demonstrated by Lamia, even the most powerful witch of all has her limitations:
- A witch cannot use magic to try to restore her youth and beauty when it is lost, or the magic will backfire on her.
- A witch will not always receive a precise and accurate answer through divination, no matter how advanced her skills may be.
- A witch's magic is unable to affect those who are protected by a Snowdrop Flower.
Consequences of Magic Edit
If an aged witch becomes young again by eating a star's heart, using magic counteracts the effect by sucking the youth from her and making her older. This was very much evident in Lamia: even though she had originally regained her youth by eating a star's heart, each time she used excessive amounts of magic to pursue her own selfish desires, her beauty rapidly diminished until by the time she actually captured Yvaine to bring her back to her lair, she was once again her true, hideous self.